Monday, September 10, 2012

My Birthday

Today was my birthday; not that this is important. However it does raise the concept of  the "Birth-Day". If we break the word down; it literally means the day in which you were born. So what is it with this human obsession to glorify it. Do human beings just want to feed their egos; some how proving that we are the superior race on Earth? Celebrations are usually held for important events; why are our birthdays special or important? I personally do not celebrate my birthday for the simple reason that there is nothing that I have done to merit a celebration. And this is true with many other birthdays.

Many people associate 'birthday" with the beginning of life; I am not saying that a beginning of a life is not special, but does it require an annual celebration. There are approximately 7 billion people on earth; do they all celebrate their birthday? I can hypothesize that religion and the belief in a soul could be a reason of the celebration of birthdays. I mean if you believe that a soul was finally given to a human baby which resulted in the baby having life, in a religious sense, then maybe that merits a glorification of the event.However annual celebration for any particular thing, are important because they glorify a person or event that changes the world/country. Birthdays lack this.

 To me I do not see the point; I did nothing special today, why celebrate? I didn't make a contribution to science, I didn't win a noble peace prize, I haven't inspired a nation. The only person who deserves some sort of recognition today is my mother. For she is the one who had to ordeal the whole process of child bearing. So today I will say thank you to my mom, for giving me the opportunity to be her son. THANKS MOM! Maybe one day I will deserve a celebration on the day of my birth; but until then.....

0 comments :

Post a Comment