Saturday, August 9, 2014

Senior Year: The Long Expeted Journey



    As the sun sets on yet another summer evening, it becomes harder and harder to ignore the inevitable: senior year is upon us. While most of my classmates anxiously await the start of the final year of high school, I’m petrified. Suddenly the need for my relatives to know what I’m going to do with my life has become downright intimidating.I have spent the past two weeks, systematically avoiding the topic. Which is actually pretty ironic. If you would have asked the girl in the picture where she wanted to be in the next twelve years, she would have looked you straight in the eye and answered, “I’m going to change the world, or at least settle for world domination. ”
           Many years have passed since I first dreamt of world domination, and, like most things, I grew out of it. Soon my dreams began to take a more attainable shape, by the time I was 10, I had decided I was: (1) NEVER going to lose to Marvin Ayala EVER again; (2) go to Oxford University (or any famous ivy league); (3) say a speech during my graduation; and (4) change the world. As time went by, I started to add to that list. Suddenly, things like getting the full IB Diploma, graduating with a 5.0 GPA, join as many clubs as I can get my hands on and other stereotypical "college ready, college bound' overachiever goals were all I could think about. However, life has a very funny way of helping you reevaluate your goals.
         Suddenly all those things I once thought were a "shoe in" for Ivey League Universities don't seem to matter anymore.To be completely honest, I no longer find people who brag about their almamader impressive. Instead I have completely fallen in love with the idea of attending a liberal arts college, that's not necessarily well known, but genuinely cares about their students.Part of me secretly can not wait to experience what William Deresiewicz  describes as the purpose of college is , "...to assist you to establish communication between mind and the heart, mind and experience, that you become an individual being-a soul." While that sounds all too swell and dandy,  the fact it in a few months in less than 3 months I'll be applying, still renders me cripple.

So what are my goals for senior then?

1) Make the Freshmen fall in love with M.E.S.A
    M.E.S.A is one of those few things I never pictured joining, I always pictured my self more of a verbal competitor. Everything change once I entered Ms. Nguyen's class that fateful Thursday, I was hooked. I met the people who would become my heroes. Suddenly I was submerged to a buffet of opportunities  where I would be to  cater to my competitive needs. Now because  I am perhaps, one of the most selfish person  I know , I never want to see M.E.S.A fall before my very eyes.  Especially after I just met two freshmen boys Darien and Brian,who are the living proof that there is hope for class of 2018. I want to make sure M. E.S.A is to them, what it was for me. So I am going to give everything I got to make sure M.E.S.A remains that society of awesome.
2.) Become Empress of Yearbook (editor)
This is actually one is actually inspired by two people, their names? Rick Rodríguez and Karen Page. Rick taught me that it is possible to be both academic and artsy. Karen taught me that I have to take time to get art. These were probably the greatest editors we have ever had.  However there was one thing missing, the real voice, the real face of Firebaugh, or at least the real  representation of the class of 2015. I want to show that we are more than just Jesus Fuentes, that we are more Randy Heffernan. We are actors, engineers, artists, and academic decathletes. That's what I want to show in this year's yearbook. This is what I want to be shown in for every class.

3)Advance to the second round for Mock Trial and win the Top Scoring Decathlete.
It's been 3 years you guys, these are basically for:
 

4. Finish my comic book.
Because there should be a comic book that follows the life of a super hero slowly losing his immortality to Alzheimer's.
5. Build a giant bra and thong and hang it around school.
Why? Because Mr.Wilson said I would never do it.
6. Become either a Quest bridge or Gates millennium scholar.
Self explanatory.

The rest of my goals are pretty strait forward, stop procrastinating, strait A's, get accepted into college, find a better way to release stress, pass my I.B exams etc. But I mean who doesn't want that right?

2 comments :

  1. Hmm. Interesting. The implication that the adult world is an intimidating and daunting arena is certainty true, and I think this is because you have prepared for it for the majority of your life till this point. You're at the edge. I equate it to the feeling one experiences when they ride a roller coaster. The entire time prior to the actual riding of the damn thing there is all this hype. You hear the tales of people who have already done it, and see some of the people who have just done it too. Then before you know it you're in the front of the line, the ride becomes too real before you even sit down. Relax. Enjoy these last minutes you have in that cozy line because the real fun is about to begin, Brenda. Oh and my aspiration for world domination are stronger than ever. The world needs a savior lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams and goals change along with the flow of time, so really think about what you want to start. Make sure which goals really mean something to you and give it your best shot! And as the famous Ron Swanson said, "Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing".

    + We should start some art sessions for that comic. ♥

    ReplyDelete