Saturday, August 9, 2014

Two Years: A Look Back


August 2, 2012. This is the date in which everything began... Well in this blog for the most part. This writing experiment has now officially been ongoing for two years, a milestone that is noteworthy because I sincerely did not see it getting here. A year maybe, but two I mean come on lets pat ourselves in the back. I have to say there have been moments where this blog has come near to internet irrelevancy, check the post history, but it has kept itself alive like Rocky in that one movie. You know which one I'm talking about. You know the one where he punches this dude, yea that one. Anyways to commemorate this event I give you the collective reaction of all most of the writers on staff. Enjoy. -G&W


Oscar Zarate (Administrator):
So much has happened since this blog began in the tumultuous summer of 2012. When this blog was in its infancy I was a sophomoric teenager eagerly envisioning my last year of high school. My last zealous attempt to conquer the hierarchical pyramid that is public education. Now, I'm a sophomoric young adult fervently scaling the strenuous mountain that is college lol. I really don't know who reads our blog, and I don't think this really matter. This blog's aim is a recreational one primarily, and I want it to stay a joyous pass time for me and my writers. I am jubilant with the process the blog has made over these two years, and I hope we can continue this experiment for two more.    

Kelvin Villegas (Vice-Administrator, Chair of Public Relation):
Two years of entertaining work, two years of delicious Grapes and Waffles. When I was first asked to join the crew of writers for this blog, my mind was filled with doubts. “No one is going to read this,”I thought. I quickly learned that my decision to join was one of smartest decisions I have made. Grapes and Waffles for me has become a great environment to communicate my thoughts to others people, being intellectual, creative, or just down right random. I have now come to see its true potential, as a place in which we (the writers) can give you good works of writing in hope that the ideas addressed in our work may carry on in your minds. In the coming future you can expect to see even more great writing as we continue to grow in both intellectually and rhetorically. Happy Birthday Grapes and Waffles!


Karen Ramirez (Chair of Creativity):
I tend not to look back on my old pieces, it distracts from what's going on now. Or at least that's what I used to tell myself. Reflection would only bring back embarrassment for me, so I caught myself tuning things out. But along the way, you need some type of grounding, just to see where the hell you're at. I fondly remember the time when I was offered a chance to join this blog. I was told it was starting to be a huge sausage fest and they needed a new perspective. Surprisingly, I wasn't overly fond of the idea. Though, I do remember looking over the writing being placed on the blog and how my writing skills weren't up to par. Being so close to graduation and entering my first year of college, it was natural of me to feel like I wasn't meeting the standards set by others. I needed practice. Now, I still feel it's good practice but it's not my only motive. In this limitless and frightening universe, it's easy to feel distant and alone in your own world. But, let's be honest, we all have a story to tell, and we all see the world a little differently. Let us connect for a moment and see the beauty in the subjects we touch. It'll be totes adorbs. Here's for more exciting bullshit in the future. ♥

Brenda Solis (Chair of Authenticity):
Two years huh? …Chales. What was I even doing two years ago? Hmmm, oh yes, now I remember I was doing everything a pretentious over achieving sophomore does. Join almost every club on campus and taking classes that, in hinds respect, shouldn’t have taken until junior year. Do I regret it? Na+. It’s because of that, I got to meet all of the rad people above me. Each of them taught me something, that has made me what I am today. Whether it was to learn to chill the fuck out or learn to be more perceptive. These guys became sort of like the older siblings I never had, and eventually they became my idols. So when I was accepted into this blog, I was more than siked. To be honest it feels like the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger’s asked the blue ranger from Mystic Force to help them take down crime. Which feels pretty fucking awesome. I can’t wait to take on the next two years.

0 comments :

Post a Comment