Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thoughts From A Nobody

 Our world is continually going through a repetitive metamorphosis; 200 years ago we had barely conquered the means of using electricity, yet here we are conquerors of the digital age. What lead to these inconceivable alterations in human history? In my opinion, we owe all of this gradual progression to the great thinkers who innovate and invent. This leads me to wonder, where am I in this maelstrom of new trendsetters? Progression is not going to stop and new catalysts are needed to lead the new millennium into grandeur.

 The human mind is a mutable entity that embodies inconsistency to the fullest. However this tendencies to change is not a faux pas in part of the evolutionary process, but an endowment in some sorts. Due to this attribute we are able to always dream and aspire for betterment in our society because we know we are capable of it. Once we see the extent of our abilities we get a bit greedy and want more. Bigger skyscrapers, faster production, better technology, yet in this fuss we taint our gains. Ultimately, ironically, undoing the progression, yet we move forward; we are truly a comical being. 

This leads me to the internal impasse that inspires this post. Where am I in this maelstrom of new trendsetters? I see the news, the internet, the ever disappearing newspapers blasting into my face the accolades of these new age prodigies. There unlikely triumph over adversity, only strengthening their labels as scholars. These ambition that I have, are they unwarranted? I feel a sense of worthlessness when I think of the workaday contribution I have, and potentially will continue to have, on our society. Is it wrong that I want to do something to ameliorate the problems facing our world?

Are these feelings just fueled by personal gain? Is it that I want to be the center of attention, I want to be recognize, I want people to be proud of me? These are all things that I desire, but are they the sole reason I want to do good? And could this self-interest motivate not only my reasons to be good, but motivate the good we see in all human beings? This sensation of inadequacy still looms over me like a dark cloud; writing this post is almost as insignificant as my complaint. I am not sure if I will or will not make a contribution to the human race. But why must I feel bad about it?  

-Superbia et Occupatio

0 comments :

Post a Comment