Thursday, March 27, 2014

An Introductory Discourse on Truth


         
The wind blew slow and gentle through the leaves on the trees. It moved swiftly on the ground, brushing across the grass like a sly snake looking for prey. The sun laid low on the dome. Its colors scattered on the sky as it made its descent. The scenes seemed to move at an easy pace, frame by frame. And all the sounds of the world seem to come together in harmony and play its magnificent symphony. O! What beauty there is seeing. What beauty there is being. It is in this beauty that I uncovered my dreaded confusion. It is in this beauty that I realized the myriad of voids in my mind. And it is because this beauty that I decided to seek truth.

             I assume that I have some conception of truth because if I did not I would be a deranged-external world skeptic unable to live adequately. This is not to imply that the truth holder can not be a skeptic. For one who has truth may not realize he has it and therefore may become subjected to doubt. My assumption only implied that I am not a deranged external world skeptic because I have a conception of truth in such that the conception of which I hold is one that I believe to be truth. Knowledge is in close relation to truth, as it is a belief about something that I hold is truth. To use Plato's words, knowledge is a justified true belief. Because I believe the belief to be true that means that in my mind I have justified this belief. This then is where I will begin to unravel my interpretation of truth at basis of my knowledge of the world.

               I'm sitting here typing at my desk, seeing words appear on my computer. (I will use this immediate fact to assess my knowledge of truth.) I notice that as I press my fingers on buttons letters appear on the computer. As these letters appear on the computer screen I am able to see them with my eyes. But how can I know for certain that these letters exist? Could they be part of a hallucination of my mind? There are several people who claim to see and experience things but are told to be mad. Could this experience of seeing the letters and words appear on the computer screen be only a result of my madness? And what of these fingers? Could this be a foreign body? Could these fingers also be a result of my madness? Even worse, what if in my madness I have hallucinated my own existence? What if this belief of myself is false?

                   But a belief is a state of mind. A belief must be thought of, and be believed in. And how could such beliefs exist on their own? No, it must be then that if a thought is to exist there must be a thinking being. I know that I am the one who is thinking this thought so I too must exist. It must follow then that I think, therefore I am. The belief of my own thoughts and my own existence is not only knowledge then, but truth. It is the truth of my existence which is the foundation of my conception of truth. Any conception that exists, exists in the mind, and if it exists in the mind then it is something that must be thought of and known. So let us recall how I know the truth of my existence. The knowledge of this truth was not derive from experienced, for one does not experience thinking, but rather I deduced in a rational way using Descartes's method of doubt. That is to say I started from scratch doubting all things including my own existence, and then I proceeded to rebuild by beliefs rationally. This truth is for me the most foundational and most important truth.


          Let us pause on this point which will again appear important later in the discussion and shift our attention to the nature of truth. To speak of truth is a difficult thing, therefore as I have illustrated before it is easier to give an account of truth by assessing the truth of something. For presumably truth can not exists on its own. For truth to exist it must be the truth of something. Let us consider this green water bottle on my desk. It appears to me to have certain properties such as its greenness and cylindricality. The truth of this water bottle may in fact be that it is both green and cylindrical. Notice that as I speak of this bottle's truth I am speaking about as what philosophers call the thing-to-itself. This is to say that if there is a truth of things, this water bottle has a truth, and that truth is independent of all other things, most importantly it is independent from myself. This account of truth is apparently in opposition to a common view of truth which is that of relativism.(This should not be confused with subjectivism which is an account of perceptual information of things while relativism deals with the truth of things.) A relativist would claim that truth in its nature is relative to the person. If then a person were to walk in and claim that this water bottle is blue, he in fact would be stating a truth about the water bottle in the same manner as if I did when I claimed the water bottle to be green. It would follow then in terms of logic that the properties that the bottle are said to have cannot exist in the bottle. This is because the water bottle cannot be all blue and all green at the same time. This is due to the law of non-contradiction which states that a thing P cannot be both P and not P. It must be then that this relativist account of truth is one in which all things have no definite truth to themselves but are depended on a person's relative view.
                 This is a view that I reject but one that I see is rationally plausible. If we return back to the foundational truth of Descartes that I have borrowed for my own account we can see how a relativist view can be developed. Using Descartes's method of doubt we have deduced that I in fact do exist because I think. This as I have stressed is the most foundational and to me the most secure of truths. Therefore in a sense what to me seems most real and true is the thoughts that occur in my head. A thought then about my water bottle is one that I feel makes the bottle exist. I may not know whether the water bottle to itself actually exists but I am certain that the thought of it exists. Therefore in this manner I can generate thoughts about all things around me and assume their existences. The properties then that I perceive them to have are then actually the properties that they actually have. This as I have stated earlier is a position that I reject. For if things are subject to have multiple truth conditions then I too should be subjected to have multiple truth conditions. For the relativist view holds on the point that the truth conditions of a thing are relative to a person. But what makes that person so special to not be depended on other things for truth? It is therefore my position that if I have a set truth that is to say that I exist as a thing to itself, all other things have a truth which is one single truth to themselves.

             I have claim then to recap, that things have their own truth and that truth is in fact the truth of something. It therefore must follow that to assess truth any further one must consider what truth one is looking for. For example as I assessed the truth of the water bottle, I in fact searched for the truth of a particular thing. It is of the kinds of truth of things that separate different fields of study. For this reason truth to a Buddhist monk will be different from Biology professor, as the Buddhist monk searches for the truth of certain things in a certain form. This may be for example the search for the truth of how to live properly while the biologist may be concerned with how the body truly functions. This is not to imply that different truth searches are completely different but only to imply that they have different goals. Furthermore, the question of what is Truth is a rather absurd one. No one has ever ask what is Truth, or at least no directly. Philosophers who question truth are in fact questioning a particular or general thing. The question of what is Truth can in which case be converted into other more meaningful questions such as what is God or what is the nature of reality.


           To reflect on this discussion on truth on a personal level I can say that what I find to be true is always in question. At my age I am not ready or able to determine what is the true nature of things such as reality or God. I do know that in my mind and in my soul I crave to understand and know how and why things are. I find joy in examining life and furthermore I feel that no other life is better fit for me. There are several things still that confuse me and keep me up at night. I find it then an absolute necessity to pursue truth. (Though this pursuit too, I often question.)

0 comments :

Post a Comment